FASHION'S NIGHT (BIG TURN)OUT
Designers, models, celebrities and Anna Wintour entertain shoppers for one night only.
New York - Fashion's Night Out was what the industry called the night to shop for consumers, with the hopes of alluring them back to shop
away their recession woesin the stores. The event, which happened on Thursday, didn't just take place in stores all over New York but around the world as well, including Britain, Russia, Brazil, India, Spain, Japan, France, Taiwan, Greece and Italy. Now as much as I adore the retail and fashion industry, which has been hurt by the recession (sales have dropped every month for the past year like Neiman Marcus reporting a $668 million loss for the year and Saks 16 percent sales drop), I did doubt the event in the beginning. I just think there are simpler ways to get back on the good graces of the consumers. lowering the prices on clothing, shoes and accessories comes to mind and you don't need a glitzy event to advertise that. But hearing more about what went down last night I have to say, "I can't hate on Anna and Co. This genuinely looked so much fun." With that said I do send out warm wishes for the future of both industries. Yes, I know I'm so easily charmed.
So here's a rundown of what happened last night:
1. About 1,000 people gathered on the second-floor escalators of Macy's in Queens to get a rare sighting of Anna Wintour, who started the idea of Fashion's Night Out. I say 'rare' because well she was in Queens, people; how often does that happen? Michael Kors, Diane Von Furstenberg, the cast of Hair and actress Kate Hudson joined her in the career sportswear department.2. Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg was a half an hour late arriving at Macy's in Queens. His people must have forgotten to tell him that no one makes Ms. Wintour wait? Tsk, Tsk.
3. Karl Lagerfeld had some good things to say about Anna and French Vogue editor in chief Carine Roitfeld: "This is so full of life. I am happy for Carine and Anna, who organized this event, because people are enjoying themselves. It was such a good idea." Mayor Bloomberg take note.
4. Oh no! Someone has crashed Diane Von Furstenberg's meatpacking district headquarters last night. Thank the holy trinity of Anna, Karl and Marc, Diane was there to tell them to "Back up Blondie! This ain't your town." Okay that didn't really happen. Fitness guru Tracy Anderson, wearing DVF leggings and a black lace workout top, was there to give exercise demonstration to the shoppers on the steps of Diane's studio. Why? Beats me. When no one put down their wine glasses to participate in the mini-workout, Diane jumped in to join Anderson. You show them how's it done, D!
5. Celebrities like Charlize Theron, Justin Timberlake, Camille Belle, Sarah Jessica Parker, Gwen Stefani, Debra Messing, Ciara, Liev Schreiber and Rosie O'Donnell came out to support the event. Speaking of Rosie O'Donnell, she's an unlikely choice for a celebrity attraction at Armani, yes or no? I get that you have to attract Middle America...I kid, I kid. Let's just hope she kept this between the reporter and herself during the night: "They gave me a shirt to wear tonight and the price tag was four digits so I'm taking it home, putting it back in the bag and never wearing it again. It's too much pressure." Rosie, a shopper doesn't need to know that even a celebrity looks at the price. It kills the mojo of Fashion's Night Out.
6. Cutest photo of the night is of Venezuela-born designer Carolina Herrera doing magic at Bergdorf's. God I love this woman.
7. Designer Alexander Wang stopped by at Berdorf's. Here he is with models wearing the Fashion's Night Out charity T-shirt that benefits the National September 11 Memorial and Museum and the New York City AIDS Fund. The tees were $30 a piece and shoppers could have them autographed by Anna Wintour. Macy's chief executive Terry Lundgren said, "We sold out more than half of the inventory and already raised over $200,000 for the 9/11 Memorial Fund."
8. Want a good idea of how the crowd was for the night, check these shoppers:
@ Berdorf Goodman's
@ Outside Dior
@ Inside Dior
@ Macy's in Queens